Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

recent posts

Friday, April 19, 2013

Recipe: Banana Chocolate Muffins

It's not very often I adapt a recipe that it turns out very good.

Ok, pretty much never.

So when this one turned out well, I was pretty excited. Ecstatic might be a better word. Don't make fun of me.

As most of you who follow me on Facebook, twitter (@emilytara) or instagram know, we've been eating much healthier at the P house. We've been cutting back on dairy, sugar and processed foods. So far, so good. We're juicing, making most foods from scratch and my next project is going to be canning...I'm excited :)  I've also been lucky enough to be with my parents so they can entertain thing 1 and thing 2 while I cook, which has given me more patience to make more things from scratch.

Anywho, I've been reading lots of great blogs about whole foods and clean eating and trying lots of new recipes and really enjoyed it lately! I'm also (as of today) below my pre-pregnancy weight with Ben! I have a few more pounds (and many inches) til the twins pre-pregnancy weight and quite a few more after that before I'm at a healthy weight, but hey...we're getting there ;)

So the point...I found THIS recipe from a friend who said these muffins were good. Well, making due with what we had around the house, what I thought the kids would like, and the basic recipe I went to work...

Banana Chocolate Muffins
adapted from 100 days of Real Food

INGREDIENTS
  • 1½ cups whole-wheat flour 
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp espresso powder
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp psyllium husk powder (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • ¾ cup fresh juiced apple juice
  • 2 bananas, mashed
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl with a fork or whisk mix the dry ingredients.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients and mash bananas.
  4. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry, making sure not to over mix.
  5. Line the muffin tray or spray it with nonstick spray then fill each one 2/3 full with batter.
  6. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature and freeze some for a later date.
    Enjoy!

Makes 12 muffins. Each muffin is 3 Weight Watchers points plus, just in case you were wondering ;)


The twins loved them, which is always a plus ;)

Well a close second to the deliciousness of a toy flashlight? What a goof!

Let me know what you think and if you'd like to see more of my (mostly) successful recipes on here! :)

1 comment:

  1. Those look good! Im going to try this recipe:) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin