Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

recent posts

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pumpkin Problems: Recipe

I admit. I have a pumpkin problem. I'd camp out for days to get the first pumpkin spice latte of the season. I try SO hard to limit pumpkin recipes to the September-December time frame so I don't annoy everyone (my husband) and make them sick of pumpkin, but if I could eat pumpkin year round, I'd do it.

So its no surprise with labor day weekend I had a MAJOR itch to make something pumpkin. I've been strawberry and blueberry crazy trying to enjoy the last of the summer fruits but I cracked. I admit it. I baked with pumpkin.

Since I've started our new "clean eating" way of life, I'm happy to say I've lost over 40lbs and am over halfway to my goal weight, so I really don't want the fall baking season and holidays to derail me from my goal of hitting goal weight by the time Ben turns 1. So I will have to get creative in the kitchen, resist the urge to throw a stick of butter into a recipe, and try to stick with good healthy treats for me and my munchkins! So enter, today's goodies from the kitchen: Healthy Pumpkin muffins with lots of flax and healthy goodness!



Pumpkin Muffins (eat better, not less!)
 
1 cup GF baking mix of choice (or whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 ground flax meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar (honey or agave would work but I planned on sharing these with the baby so skipped the honey)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 whole can of pumpkin (because I always have an odd amount of pumpkin leftover, I like pumpkin, so I tossed it all in.)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin pan or line with muffin cups.
  • Mix together the flour, oats, flax, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix to the oil, pumpkin, eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla until it gets a little frothy. Stir together the dry and wet ingredients just until combined.
  • Fill each cup 3/4 full.
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until knife in the middle comes out clean.
  • Enjoy a muffin!
Or 2 ;)




Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin