Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

recent posts

Thursday, April 23, 2015

5 Things I'm NOT Buying For Baby-and a few things I am

Now I admit, a lot of baby stuff we don't have to buy for baby 4 because we have them, which is awesome! But there are a lot of things we haven't had, or I haven't used in the past that I don't plan on getting for this baby. For people expecting #2 (or 3 or 4) I thought I would share the things that we aren't bothering with this time around, unless I find that I really need them.

1. A new breast pump. I do plan to breastfeed, but I am really, REALLY hoping for a good eater and not needing this. If I need one, we'll go out and get it, but I'm hoping that's not the case! I used the same breast pump for my first 2 pregnancies but it's seen better days so I think if I plan on using one regularly, I will invest in a new one. I'm really hoping that's not the case though because I pumped enough with the twins to last a lifetime.

2. Along those lines...bottles. We tried for a few weeks to get Ben to take a bottle and he never did and honestly, I had enough going on with the twins and a new baby to worry about pumping and bottles and cleaning them. We gave away most of our bottles during Ben's first few months and I don't plan on buying any more. If we NEED them, I will go get them, but I'm definitely not buying them beforehand.

3. Pacifiers. The end all-be all of babyhood right? Ben never took a pacifier and never really needed one. Again, I loved the simplicity of not having to worry about carrying it, cleaning it, making sure I had it. It definitely was a big help with the twins, it's how they learned how to eat really, but if this baby girl isn't crying constantly, she's not getting a pacifier. Have I mentioned how awesome it is to NOT have to wean a kid from a pacifier? Amazing.

4. Fancy swings or bouncers. Apparently the 4moms Mamaroo is all the rage these days in infant swings and bouncers.

It looks amazeballs, don't get me wrong. If it's your first kid, I say rock it out. HOWEVER, this poor baby will probably not be able to left unattended...umm...ever. Have you met my other children? They'll be good helpers...maybe too good. Also, when not in use, my children like to climb in baby swings and a certain little girl is tiny enough that she can fit in them still, just like her 12 month "pants" that i put on her under her skirts. So to avoid this trouble and them potentially breaking anything, we're just skipping it. Baby will have supervised floor time, spend a lot of time in a wrap, and sleep in her crib or bassinet, but that's about it for baby 4. Sorry kid, you'll be ok though. I have faith.

5. Pretty baby towels/new clothes/new anything. This baby is getting almost all hand me downs. Sorry sweetheart. She'll use whatever towel is clean in the kids bathroom. She'll wear Amelia's hand me downs (and a few from other friends who have given us a few things), sleep in the cribs we bought 4 years ago, and major score, we still have a year left until the infant car seats we bought the twins home in expire. They hardly got any use with Ben (he was too heavy to lug around in the carseat and was close to 30" before he even hit 1) so I'm glad we can get one more baby out of them before they expire. Next babies-r-us trade in event, we'll get her a big girl car seat and we'll have managed to have 4 kids in 2 car seats in under 5 years. Bam! Win!

SO what exactly have I bought for baby?

Not much.

A little sister onesie.

Some things for me (nursing pads, nipple cream, some things to take to the hospital with me).

And the biggest purchase...new cloth diapers.

I destashed a few months ago and actually made a decent amount of money back selling my old diapers. People were really wanting to buy stinky diapers used on 3 kids. Wow! It helps they were all popular brands (all Bumgenius or Fuzzibunz). But because of Ben's skin troubles we had in the last diapers, I figured I'd just start brand new with this girl. I still think in buying all new diapers, we'll be saving money in the long run. I got about 1/2 of my money back from the diapers I sold. I am thinking I could get even more for these because they will be used a lot less than my first batch was. I'm also not buying nearly as many as we had so overall, about $250 (I shopped BG sales, and you can use Bed Bath and Beyond coupons on BG diapers at Buy Buy Baby! That took a $17.99 BG 4.0 down to $12.99 with a $5 off/$15 coupon people! Major score!) and I think we'll be set for her until she is potty trained. Definitely by far our biggest purchase for baby girl, but I think the best investment. I hate buying disposable diapers.

I also might get a cute nursing scarf. This one, in particular, caught my eye.

 These seemed to be more popular when I was nursing with Ben but I already had a nursing cover to use. But maybe, to get something pretty and different, I might try a scarf this time around ;) I'm much more of a scarf wearer in Ohio than I was in California. We'll see. 

What did you buy for your 2nd/3rd/4th/+ kids that you might not have had for your 1st? What did you skip out on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin